This week Gossip Girl tackled a tricky question: if you used to do sketchy things — like deal drugs or sleep with your boarding school professors — should you tell your father? the answer, dear readers, is no. You should not. It won’t help anybody anyhow, faith or no faith in your father-daughter relationship. Of course, things are different when you’re a van der Woodsen….
This was not my favorite episode of Gossip Girl of all time, far from it, but let’s put on Serena’s rose-colored glasses — I’ll tell ya what I did like:
- Blake Lively in turquoise. Crazy pretty.
- Chuck: “Judge away. Shame turns me on.”
- That pink bow in Lily’s hair.
- Eric telling Dr. VDW that he doesn’t need him. You go, Little van der Woodsen.
- Blair: “Are you third-personing me?”
- Blair in that blue hat. I have a lot of difficulty with Blair’s hat choices (remember that thing she wore in the Yale episode? blech.) but this worked. And the lavender polka-dot dress underneath — perfection.
- Vanessa’s giant giant poncho jacket. just joshing. it was awful awful awful.
- Chuck and Lily. Aw. Those two always get me.
- That sad uneaten sandwich Rufus made.
- Drug dealing coming to some good: Jenny has insider info on Dr. VDW effing with Lily’s medicine, and she knows just the Upper East Sider to squeal to.
But other than the above: when the BING product placement is not the most annoying part of a CW show, we have a problem. I was just not feeling this episode. I was ready to delight in the Jenny/Serena battle but … meh. I don’t really care if Rufus cheated on Lily. Or if Vanessa and Dan will write each other sexy letters while she’s in Haiti. I have a case of the Gossip Girl blahs. And winter? I do not want to see snow on the ground in NYC when I’m watching an episode on May 3. Shoot indoors. Or hire people to clear away a tiny area of snow and fake it. Cut Jenny’s hair extension allowance and use that money for set decoration.
My hope: the season finale is as awesome as it’s being hyped to be, we get all excited for season 4, and in September with a fresh start the show gets back into its season 1 & 2 groove. Turn wheel of fortune, turn.
Am I being way harsh? Did you enjoy the episode?